Note: When purging the barrel and screw for first time with Purgex, use 2 times the injection capacity and soak for 5 minutes. When routinely purging with Purgex, use 1-1/2 times the injection capacity.
Preparation Before Purging
(with about 5 minutes remaining in production run)
- Turn off material flow.
- Maintain process settings and continue running parts.
- When last part is completed, retract carriage and purge remaining mateiral.
- Clean hopper and/or colorant blender.
- Load established amount of Purgex into hopper/feed zone.
- Clean nozzle and sprue bushing.
Purging The Machine
- Adjust shot size to roughly 25% of injection capacity.
- In manual mode, purge out barrel and screw with Purgex (see note above for quantity).
- Continue purging until most of the Purgex is out of the hopper and then begin your normal changeover procedures.
- Feed at least one injection capacity of next production resin (with/without the colorant on) to rinse out residual Purgex.
- If necessary, rinse with additional production resin.
Note: The setting change in Step 1 is recommended because it assists Purgex in working more effectively and efficiently.
Comments & Recommendations:
- Highly contaminated machines or the use of liquid colorants may require additional purging with Purgex and/or a soak time of 3 to 5 minutes.
- Purgex is stable and safe for leaving in the barrel for long term shutdowns.
- Purgex can be used effectively many ways. These procedures are offered as a reference and have been shown to be most effective in plant trials and our controlled lab experiments.
- Procedures detailed offer a general guideline, Purgex should be thorougly tested on any process using these basic guidelines as a baseline before testing any alternative method.
Got more Questions? Call our Technical Support team at (800)-803-6242.