Preparation Before Purging
- Empty resin from machine.
- Increase accumulator temperature by 100°F to 120°F (40°C to 50°C) without exceeding 518°F (270°C).
- Load Purgex into hopper.
Note: When purging accumulators with Purgex, use at least 3 times the accumulator weight capacity and purge with Purgex 456 Plus or Purgex 457 Plus.
- Fill accumulator to capacity with Purgex.
- Center the die.
- Open the valve gap .020 inches (0.5 mm) and allow a small amount of
Purgex to flow out (about 5% of total).
- Soak 45 minutes.
- Open the valve gap to maximum.
- Empty Purgex from the accumulator with continuous flow.
- Continue removing Purgex from the accumulator with the next production
resin until the resin appears smooth.
- Reset accumulator temperatures and capacity for next production run.
- Begin production.
Comments & Recommendations:
- If the accumulator is holding an engineering resin, it may be more efficient to purge with Purgex 3056 Plus or Purgex 3057 Plus.
- Example amount of Purgex to purge accumulator: If accumulator holds 22 lbs. (10 kg), at least 66 lbs. (30 kg) should be loaded to the hopper (2.2 pounds = 1 kg).
- If machine has more than one accumulator, each accumulator must be filled with the recommended amount of Purgex.
- Accumulators designed with internal agitation or pumps of different variety: It would be beneficial to turn these mechanical devices on and off periodically during the 45 minute soak time and when removing Purgex with the next resin.
Questions? Call our Technical Support team at (800) 803-6242.